Curbside Leaf Program
The Village of North Aurora offers a free leaf pickup service to residents. The leaf pickup program runs from mid-October through late November, and is provided to residents every other week. For residents living on the west side of the river, pickup begins on the second Monday of October. Residents living east of the river pickup will begin on the 3rd Monday of October. When completed each side of town will have received 3 pickups. Note: Even though pickup begins on Monday at 7:00 a.m. all streets can not be service in one day. To ensure pickup please have your leaves out by 6:30 a.m. Monday to ensure pickup in case your street is serviced first.
Waste Management Leaf Pickup.
Waste Management's free kraft bag leaf pickup runs until the end of November. All other yard waste (brush, twigs, etc.) requires a sticker. After the end of November, all leaves and yard waste will need to be held until yardwaste pick-up resumes in April.
Please keep in mind
- Pushing leaves into the street is a violation of ordinance 03-04-28-04, Section 12.06.010.
- Leaves in the street get extremely slippery and crate a hazard for pedestrians and vehicles.
- Leaves must be on the parkway by 6:30 a.m. on your designated Monday.
- Leaf piles with vehicles parked in front of them will not be picked up
- Avoid raking foreign material into leaf piles.
- NO DIRT, ROCKS, METAL, or BRANCHES
- Inclement weather or a large volume of leaves could alter the schedule
- Rake leaves onto the parkway (area behind the curb, gutter, or road edge).
- Rake leaves in a row parallel to the street, on the parkway, at least 1 foot back from the curb.
- Keep leaf piles less than 2 feet in height.
- Keep leaves away from ditches, pipes and culverts
- LEAVES ONLY, no brush, branches, rocks, landscape waste
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will the leaf piles kill my grass?
No, it will not kill your grass, it may cause discolor. The grass will grow back in the spring.
- Why can’t we put the leaves in the street?
Leaves in the street get extremely slippery and create a hazard for pedestrians and vehicles. It also tends to block storm sewer grates and clog catch-basins.
- What happens if I miss the pick up time?
It would be possible to be picked up sometime within the week while we are still on your side of town or use the bagged leaf collection program until the end of November.
- When the program is canceled due to inclement weather, what do we do with the leaves?
It is recommended that you apply the leaves to plants/trees/shrub beds as mulch or used the bagged leave collection program.
- Where do we call if we want more information or have other questions?
Call the Public Works Department at 630-897-1457.